Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Good Deed for Today

Today I did something that made me feel pretty good…well almost! I always feel good when I help people. It makes me feel like I made a difference. But on this particular day, I wanted to stick my foot in my mouth while I was doing a good deed.

See, there is a man in our town that walks daily and is almost totally blind. He walks with a cane and depends on others to stop and help him cross the street. I have helped him many times during some of my walks or runs, but today, after watching him stand there with his cane pointed outward for about 5 minutes while traffic just passed inconsiderately, I crossed the road and pulled over. I got out of the car to help him cross the street. This was an easy task that only took about 2 minutes of my time.

Now, I really wasn’t thinking, but what I said to this man was really NOT what I SHOULD have said! So, I approached him and said “Hey Mr. Robert. Let me help you across the street. It’s such a PRETTY day out here.” OH NO…I just said PRETTY. Not exactly what I should have said to a man that can’t see. So, in an attempt to rescue myself since he wasn’t responding, I said “It’s so nice and warm.” Then Mr. Robert replied, “Yes, it’s been so nice out here lately.” Whew! Note to self: NICE is the word to use when speaking to Mr. Robert about the weather. Not PRETTY.

Even though I did want to stick my foot in my big mouth, I still felt good about what I did. I helped Mr. Robert today, but he helped me as well!

So, have you done a good deed lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment