Wednesday, March 17, 2010

5k Run Anyone?


Motivation is the key ingredient to getting in shape.  Then you need time, space, proper workout gear, and sometimes equipment, maybe even a gym.  I recently purchased these new Adidas Boost running shoes from one of my favorite online shoe stores, Shoebacca.com.  The beautiful pre-spring weather is motivating me some.  Also, the fact that I can't fit into any of my clothes from last summer is a huge motivator.  I have a treadmill, several workout DVDs, and a few handheld weights.  I also have a gym nearby that I love to go to, but that's another 30 bucks a month.  My huge problem right now is TIME.  I've been fitting workouts into my schedule when I can, but that's only been about twice a week.

I decided that I needed something to work toward.  Something to really push me.  Something I'd MAKE time for.  So, I've decided to participate in a 5k run, maybe even a 10k by September.  I found a "Couch-to-5k" program online that I started yesterday.  It's available on the Cool Running website.  There are tons of them out there, but I really liked this one.  It only takes about 20 to 30 minutes, three days a week.

I started my 5k training yesterday.  It started with a 5 minute warmup walk, then 1 minute of running followed by 90 seconds of walking, which is repeated until the time reaches 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, I didn't want to stop, so I walked another 12 minutes for a total of 32 minutes and 2 miles of running/walking yesterday.  I felt great!  I plan to repeat this on Thursday and Saturday of this week.

Today I plan to do Power 90 Sculpt 3/4.  I need to add some weight training when I can.

Is anyone else training for their first 5k?  How are you fitting exercise into your schedule? 


No comments:

Post a Comment